[App_rpt-users] Skype

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Sun Aug 22 17:39:57 UTC 2010

Yes - I understand the effort required ... it might be easier to go the
other way and put in the stuff required for the Skype channel driver to
work, if it is simple ... but if that is not deemed valuable, then "oh well"

Meantime, WA1SOT has pointed out that there is another way to do this, by
running a Linux version of Skype on the repeater controller and something
called SIPtoSIS (plus JRE, X11, etc) - it involves installing a lot more
software than just a channel and probably represents a heavy computational
load too.  But (I am told) it works.

The advantage of using Skype from your hotel room is that Skype somehow
makes pretty good sounding audio out of a poor internet connection ... a
connection that would really trash IAX communications (based on my
experience and others with side-by-side comparisons).

The advantage of a channel (I think), versus reverse auto-patch, is that you
do not need someone to "answer the phone" at the repeater end, to let you
in.

Ken
27021