[App_rpt-users] Backup machine

keith handscombe keith at handscombe.co.uk
Sat Aug 28 22:43:15 UTC 2010

Good evening all,

New at this so sorry if a stupid question. I run node 2498 (Echolink 5503
and IRLP 5503). I wanted to create a backup pc of my fully working node and
as I have a spare PIV 2Ghz Pc. I did the following.

1. Installed the Centos 5.5 CD onto the new pc with USB Sound fob in USB
port.( This device I have already tested and know this works)
2. Followed and all updates were completed in about 40 minutes
3. I was prompted for an IP address and I selected DHCP
4. When asked my password I selected a high encryption password
5. Then finally asked to insert my node number...2498
6. Password as supplied by All star on some months ago I then typed in.

I was then at the logon prompt so

Logon with root
Password used and I was at the console

I then deleted the asterisk folder on this fresh build and contents and
copied (using winscp) the asterisk folder and contents that I had backup off
my working but powered off main node.

When I finally ifconfig and made sure the private IP was identical to my
main All star node that I had firstly copied the complete Asterisk contents
over was already turned off( No IP conflicts)

I then telinit 6 and thus a reboot

On power up the IP was the same.
I copied the IRLP backup into temp
Then tried irlpsetup.sh   ( Was unable to run) All worked ok 3 weeks ago
when I ran the identical command.

I was then unable to connect to no links be it Echolink or All Star. ( I was
unable to resolve Echolink by a ping Europe.echolink.org. path unknown)

Any ideas

I have made sure the Asterisk contents match size for size of my working
node and is in the correct place. I have made sure the A was not in the iax
configuration

I have put this backup Pc under the bench as work in progress and turned my
main All Star back on. After 10 minutes all now is fine and working has
anyone any idea on what I missed please?

Many thanks

Keith Handscombe G7DNT