[App_rpt-users] usb radio config file

Doug Bade kd8b at thebades.net
Wed Jan 6 01:43:15 UTC 2010

David Powell-Williams wrote:
>> <snip>
>> Second issue:  The loudest playback sounds cause the URI to go into
>> saturation and distort. I may not have calibrated the levels very
>>
> carefully,
>
>> but even if I manually lower the txlevel setting from 800 down to, say,
>>
> 300
>
>> it still distorts - it's just a quieter distortion. What can cause this?
>> <snip>
>>
>> I have the same problem with a modified CM108 usb installation.
>>
>> After setting all the 'radio tune' parameters, there is serious distortion
>> on voice modulation peaks, irrespective of the source being Iaxrpt or
>> another node.
>>
>> However, the 'radio tune txvoice' generates a perfect sine wave at 3 KHz
>> deviation, as seen on an oscilloscope at the exciter modulator or on a
>> service monitor off-air.  I am using duplex=0 in rpt.conf since the node
>> operates simplex.
>>
>> Dave
>> VE7MQ
>> 2140

> I have not seen this on a properly configured system. Chances are it has to
> do with de-emphasis configuration on the receive side, or
> pre-emphasis/limiting (prelim) in the transmit side)
>
> Where is the audio getting distorted? Transmit or receive?
> so you see the distortion on the TX line or RX line if you look with a
> scope?
>
> You might be able to determine where it is getting distored by connecting
> your node to a working node you can monitor,  then send audio both ways.
>
> Disclaimer: I offer URI support and suggestions as a courtesy only as I do
> not derive any income from sales of the URI. I am in no way obligated to
> provide support at any level.
>
> Steve
> WA6ZFT
>
> Steve:
>
> Thank you for your response. Much appreciated.
>
> This distortion also appears when accessing the transmitter digitally via
> Iaxrpt with no radio receivers involved.  Ditto for when my node is
> connected elsewhere, such as Calnet.  The problem is entirely on transmit,
> somewhere in the route from apt_rpt internals to the MICOR exciter audio
> input.  The receive audio is perfect.
>
> I have two independent nodes on separate computers. I followed your
> suggestion and linked them together.  Using a service monitor, I fed 1 KHz
> tones at various deviations into the receiver of Node A and monitored the
> transmit output of problem Node B.  There is no distortion until reaching 4
> KHz.  At 5 KHz deviation, there is serious distortion of the sine wave.
>
> I want to emphasize that this problem remains constant no matter if the
> modulation source originates in a radio receiver, another node or Iaxrpt. As
> Ken mentioned earlier, adjusting txvoice moves the deviation up and down but
> has no effect upon the distortion.  FWIW, the distortion (on voice) sounds
> like listening to a loudspeaker with a ripped cone.

> [...]
I would check and see if you have already or need dc blocking between
the URI and the mic input as the mic input most likely has dc bias for
the mic cartridge... the URI does NOT like DC back fed. There are DC
blocked inputs and outputs on the other row of pins.. I found that DC
was an issue on most radios I am hooking to on both the TX and RX
sides... It causes the audio to get unsymetrical...IN general I use
those pins as they are capacitively coupled and most my issues like you
are indicating.. stopped.. YMMV
Just a thought to check...
Doug
KD8B