[App_rpt-users] usb radio config file

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Wed Jan 6 02:19:14 UTC 2010

> I would check and see if you have already or need dc blocking between
> the URI and the mic input as the mic input most likely has dc bias for
> the mic cartridge... the URI does NOT like DC back fed. There are DC
> blocked inputs and outputs on the other row of pins.. I found that DC
> was an issue on most radios I am hooking to on both the TX and RX
> sides... It causes the audio to get unsymmetrical...IN general I use
> those pins as they are capacitively coupled and most my issues like you
> are indicating.. stopped.. YMMV
> Just a thought to check...
> Doug
> KD8B

I am using the URI which has both DC-blocked and solidly-coupled.
I have wired to the pin that has the DC block.
For the moment, I am just feeding it to some amplified speakers for testing.
They present a high impedance to the URI.

I can't prove it, but it sounds like Asterisk is coming up with some audio
that is bigger than the 16-bit number that is supposed to hold the value for
the D/A and, of course, the next bigger number after full scale is zero or
minus full scale or something equally horrible.

It is strange that the pre-recorded messages would be subjected to this
though.  They are, by definition, good-sounding 16-bit audio data. When I
listened to one offending phrase off-line (Apple Quicktime) and it sounded
fine. I guess the recorded audio passes through additional DSP that alters
the levels.

Anyway, the limiting feature seems like a good thing to have both with and
without pre-emphasis.

Ken