[App_rpt-users] Amateur Radio Simulator

Babar Abbas abbas.babar at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 22:40:37 UTC 2010

Hi,
      I am a software engineer. Needed to simulate Amature Radio over
VOIP. Below are my inquiries.

My understanding of app_rpt, is

                   Links Base Nodes, with other Base Nodes, with VOIP.
                   Links Repeaters with Base Nodes, VOIP.

I am not a hardware engineer, ok, so the repeater to Linux interface
might need some hardware. So app_rpt manages that??? Same is for Base
Nodes???

                    What is my problem here?

                   I have to build a system where users communicate
through their microphone head set, to the other receivers/transmitters
(also on the computer), like emulating an Amateur Radio environment,
through VOIP. Different users on different frequencies, all
communicating with each other, Linked through a server like Asterisk.
A typical VOIP conference call, though we have to provide frequencies
like Amateur radio.

                   Now the above problem can be done with Asterisk.
But since app_rpt is for specially Amateur Radio environments, how can
I use the functionality provided by app_rpt.

                   app_rpt links the Base Nodes/Repeaters would it be
useful as a server for managing users at their frequencies
communicating, adding it's extra capability of linking nodes.

                   I don't need the hardware support from this module,
as I am using just a microphone head set.

                    Any replies will be greatly appreciated. I have
already been through a lot of research to reach to Asterisk first,
then a client, then app_rpt. And the app_rpt site is very hardcore
technical stuff.

--
Regards,
Babar Abbas.