[App_rpt-users] Amateur Radio Simulator

Stephen Rodgers sales at qrvc.com
Fri Jan 15 02:47:23 UTC 2010

Babar Abbas wrote:
> Hi,
>       I am a software engineer. Needed to simulate Amature Radio over
> VOIP. Below are my inquiries.
>
> My understanding of app_rpt, is
>
>                    Links Base Nodes, with other Base Nodes, with VOIP.
>                    Links Repeaters with Base Nodes, VOIP.
>
> I am not a hardware engineer, ok, so the repeater to Linux interface
> might need some hardware. So app_rpt manages that??? Same is for Base
> Nodes???
>
>                     What is my problem here?
>
>                    I have to build a system where users communicate
> through their microphone head set, to the other receivers/transmitters
> (also on the computer), like emulating an Amateur Radio environment,
> through VOIP. Different users on different frequencies, all
> communicating with each other, Linked through a server like Asterisk.
> A typical VOIP conference call, though we have to provide frequencies
> like Amateur radio.
>
>                    Now the above problem can be done with Asterisk.
> But since app_rpt is for specially Amateur Radio environments, how can
> I use the functionality provided by app_rpt.
>
>                    app_rpt links the Base Nodes/Repeaters would it be
> useful as a server for managing users at their frequencies
> communicating, adding it's extra capability of linking nodes.
>
>                    I don't need the hardware support from this module,
> as I am using just a microphone head set.
>
>                     Any replies will be greatly appreciated. I have
> already been through a lot of research to reach to Asterisk first,
> then a client, then app_rpt. And the app_rpt site is very hardcore
> technical stuff.

Nodes are generic. They can be configured as repeater (full duplex) or base station
(half-duplex) operation. There is no difference in the way half-duplex and full duplex
nodes connect to each other. Multiple connections are handled by each node only limited by network bandwidth
and PC processing power. All receive audio is mixed and retransmitted to all other connected nodes. No node has audio
priority over any other node.

App_rpt can be configured as a single or multi-node system on the same PC. App_rpt usually manages a hardware radio
interface on a per-node basis, however a node can be operated "headless" as a conference server as well. One radio
hardware interface is assigned per node. Hardware radio interfaces supported are the QRV Communications LLC Quad Radio
PCI card and the DMK Engineering URI.

Steve
WA6ZFT