[App_rpt-users] Node Disconnect

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Sat Jul 17 16:46:39 UTC 2010

sure...

Normally, when a link is established, the originating end will try to 'maintain
its connection, within reason'.

The IAX2 protocol is utilized to provide end-to-end connectivity between
nodes. As with any VOIP protocol, there are many ways in which the protocol
may be used. A 'traditional' phone call over IAX2 uses its facilities in a fairly
cannonical and predictable manner. Our use of those facilities differs in many
ways (which is one reason why you just cant connect an IAX2 phone client
directly to a node the same way another node connects).

>From the standpoint of the node that originates the connection, if a disconnection
of the IAX2 protocol session is detected, it will retry, periodically, a few times
before "giving up" (officially determining that the connection to the node has dropped
and announcing this fact).

Since detection of a disconnect at the protocol level does not *necessarily*
indicate termination of the link, a message is sent prior to intentional termination
to indicate that the disconnection is *really* a disconnection, and to not retry.

A "Permalink" acts exactly the same way, except that if non-intentional disconnect
is detected, it keeps retrying, forever, and ever, and ever....  This only is in effect
if the connection was able to be established in a normal way initially. In other words,
if you make a permalink connection to a node that doesnt respond, it wont keep trying,
but if you make a connection, and its then lost, it will keep retrying.