[App_rpt-users] Would like equipment suggestions

Tony KT9AC kt9ac at ameritech.net
Wed Jul 21 14:00:21 UTC 2010

Good Morning,
  I have node 27129 working just fine at home using an older P4 PC, but
now want to move this functionality to the repeater site. I was thinking
that a laptop and DMK interface would probably work the best, with
possibly a broadband USB stick for internet access. Granted a lower-tier
broadband service would probably cost a little per month, it should be
easier than running a seperate RF link back to my house and using that
broadband connection. Coverage at the site is no problem.

I'm asking what others are doing in regards to PC equipment. I'm aware
of the Mini-ITX boards and CF, but what specs should I look for in a
used laptop thinking it would mostly be self-contained and quieter than
a PC? If I use the broadband service, then I only need one DMK for the
repeater, otherwise with the RF link I would need two. The PC would be
housed in the same rack cabinet as the repeater.

Is this a good idea? Remote control is another concern - how are some of
you doing that? I'm comfortable with Linux, PuTTY, etc.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tony