[App_rpt-users] introduction & usbradio.conf query

Rob Wargaski wargaski at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 20:29:48 UTC 2010

Folks,

I recently began exploring the melding of two hobbies (Asterisk and
amateur radio), and have made some encouraging progress. I have hit a
bit of a roadblock, however, and am soliciting help from the
experienced hands to identify what I'm doing wrong.

We have an Asterisk host which is the core of the house phone system.
It's been in production since September, 2003, and has seen several
Asterisk upgrades and  hardware enhancements over the years. The most
recent upgrade was about a month ago, which brought in a new box
running CentOS 5.5 and Asterisk 1.4.36. The box is populated with two
Digium cards (T1 and quad-FXS) and is connected to an Adtran TA750
channel bank; we're using 18 FXS and two FXO channels.

A few weeks ago, I spent some quality time on the phone with David
Kramer of DMK and discussed his hardware, software, and implementation
recommendations. We ended up purchasing a URI from him, and an
interface cable for our Yaesu FT-847 from Marshall Oldham (KE6PCV).
Using the ACID distro, I brought the original Asterisk box back to
life as the wireless Asterisk host.

The plan is to run a proof-of-concept project to determine if all of
this is useful. If the answer is "yes", then we'll buy a dedicated
radio for Asterisk integration and join Allstar.

So, on to the present situation. On the house phone system, I have an
extension which places an IAX call to the wireless system and connects
to the Yaesu via Rpt(). When I call the extension, what I say on the
phone is transmitted by the Yaesu and received by a monitoring HT. Big
win!

After that success, I attempted to set the squelch and voice levels
with radio-tune-menu. I'm able to perform Step 1 (auto-detect the
received noise level without carrier) and update the configuration
file, but can do nothing else. I suspect that (at least) there are
some wonky values in usbradio.conf; would you mind taking a look?

I appreciate any help you can provide.

Cheers,

Rob
N9YCS

-----usbradio.conf-----

;
; general settings
;
[general]

;
; USB device definition
;
; cf https://allstarlink.org/usbradio.html
;
[usb]

; general device parameters

hwtype=0              ; DMK Engineering URI
duplex=0              ; simplex radio operation
eeprom=0              ; don't warn if URI EEPROM is not found

; receiver-related parameters

rxboost=0             ; 20 dB attenuator
rxctcssrelax=1        ; CTCSS decoder criteria relax
carrierfrom=dsp       ; carrier detect source
ctcssfrom=dsp         ; CTCSS decoder source
rxdemod=flat          ; RX audio source type from radio

; transmitter-related parameters

txprelim=yes          ; TX audio pre-emphasis and limiting in software
txtoctype=notone      ; TX tone "turn off code" method
txmixa=composite      ; TX mix output channel A (left) output type
txmixb=no             ; "   "    "       "    B (right)  "     "
invertptt=0           ; ground PTT to transmit

; CTCSS-related parameters

txctcssdefault=103.5  ; default CTCSS tone if none other in use
rxctcssfreqs=103.5    ; RX CTCSS tone
txctcssfreqs=103.5    ; TX CTCSS tone

-----usbradio.conf-----