[App_rpt-users] urb0 error message and crackling noise problem

Chuck Henderson rpt2 at chuck.midlandsnetworking.com
Sat Oct 23 04:18:18 UTC 2010

I am new here, I have had my system running for a few days and only today
10/22/2010 at 3:00PM Central time, I got these error messages on the
console.
There were a total of 139 lines that all happened at the exact same time
stamp.  I will show just 4 lines here.

Oct 22 15:00:29 server4 kernel: cannot submit datapipe for urb 1, error -22:
internal error
Oct 22 15:00:29 server4 kernel: cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, error -22:
internal error
Oct 22 15:00:29 server4 kernel: cannot submit datapipe for urb 1, error -22:
internal error
Oct 22 15:00:29 server4 kernel: cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, error -22:
internal error

I installed from the ACID_CENTOS CD that I downloaded 9/29/2010.

I do not have it connected to the repeater yet,  I am just simulating the
repeater for testing.

I am using the StarTech.com usb fob that has a CM-108 chip.

Other than these errors that showed up today, I have been trying to figure
out an intermittent crackling noise that can be heard for a
few milliseconds during some of the CWIDs.
I started with a pentium 4, 1.8Ghz system and thinking that it may not be
fast enough and that may be causing the noise problem I rebuilt using a dual
core 3.1 Ghz system and still have the same crackling problem. The new
system reports "Oct 21 04:33:53 server4 kernel: Total of 2 processors
activated (12455.79 BogoMIPS)."

 I turned up debugging and verboseness in asterisk to see if I
could correlate the noise to any debugging messages but so far
nothing corresponds.  I have now tried using a PD520 CM-108 sound fob to see
if that would be any different than the star-tech.com sound fob and there is
still no change to the intermittent noise condition.

I downloaded all of the message archives of this list and gerp'd them to see
if anyone else had talked about this noise issue and I did find people
talking about it Nov 2009 but I didn't see anything about a resolution to
the problem.  I did see where it was suspected that "statpost" may be
related to the issue so I commented out statpost so that it would not run
and while that did noticeably reduce how often the crackling noise is heard,
it did not eliminate the problem.

Do I need a more powerful system to not have this noise problem?  Would a
quad core system help?  Does anyone know of a fix to this noise problem?

By the way, the system that I am using now only has 2 Gig RAM, 1 HDD, 1
CDROM, built-in GigE, built-in video, nothing else connected to the system,
nothing in any card slots.  USB fob connected directly to the built-in USB
2.0 port.

Chuck Henderson, CCIE2285, WB9UUS