[App_rpt-users] Blind Node Owner

Dale Weber n7pkt at hybotics.org
Fri Oct 29 20:34:11 UTC 2010

On Friday, October 29, 2010 01:11:04 pm Matt Roberts wrote:
> I'm seriously considering setting up an Allstar node.  Since I currently
> run an EchoIRLP node, but since I can't run Allstar and IRLP on the same
> computer, it will be a bit inconvenient to have all three.

	Hi Matt! Actually, I believe you can run them on the same system, but
they would still be completely separate.  I'm not sure how the installation
would work, since the ACID install wipes ALL connected hard drives. IRLP and
AllStarLink use different hardware interfaces, and you would still need two
radios.

> I want my
> Allstar node to be as portable as possible.  Having a small repeater would
> be nice.  I'd like it to be able to operate in a way that would allow me
> to carry it somewhere and set it up, but if I need it, be able to connect
> an outside antenna to it.

	There is a Pico Node project in the works now that would put AllStarLink
(and EchoLink) on a Beagle Board ( http://beagleboard.org ) which would make a
wearable node if interfaced to an HT. Beagle and a battery pack could fit into
a shirt pocket.

	However, putting IRLP on a Pico Node probably would not be possible due
to politics, so we move foward anyway and leave that behind for now. :)

> I would also like to have autopatch
> capabilities, both outgoing and incoming. I'm pretty technical and once I
> figure out how to do something, I can usually do it again.

	I believe AllStar, through asterisk, has this capability.

> The big obstacle is my blindness will prevent me from setting up the system
> myself.  I don't have any local hams I can ask to help, since most of them
> in this area are not interested in internet linking. Any ideas on how I
> can accomplish my goal?

	With a Pico Node for AllStarLink and EchoLink, I believe the only
connections you would have to make is plug a URI into a USB port and connect
an external antenna to an HT if needed.

	I don't see your blindness as an obstacle. I believe this can be handled
also.

	8-Dale
--
Open your mind, Read, Learn, Think, Apply..
AllStar Node 2392 / EchoLink 541558 / 73, from N7PKT!