[App_rpt-users] ACID CD install boot failure

Joe Bryant jbryant at bellsouth.net
Sat Aug 13 16:55:21 UTC 2011

All,

I have a 2002 vintage, VIA EPIA Mini-ITX box (C3 Eden 800Mhz processor). It
has 512 MB RAM, and a 60Gig hard drive. The ACID / CentOS install CD, will
not complete the boot process, it goes into a loop. At the point shown in
this picture:  http://www.qsl.net/k4bry/mini-itx_boot-fail.jpg , the screen
goes dark, and the box reboots into the CD again. The CD is good, it was
used on my first install with no problems.

I have manipulated the BIOS settings for several hours, with no change in
the result. It may be caused by a lack of enough RAM, but I Don't know. If
there is documentation on the minimum requirements for an ACID install, I
can't find it.  If I try to find RAM to take it to the 1 Gig maximum, it is
likely to cost more than this old Motherboard is worth.

After no progress with this, to see if it was hardware failure, I installed
the Kubuntu-10.04-Alternate-i386 version of Ubuntu, GUI and all, without a
hitch. It runs very slowy, which is to be expected, but it does run.

Does anyone see an obvious problem, or have any idea what I should try next?
I have a second box with the same Motherboard, It would be nice and cheap,
if I could get them both working.

Thanks for any help.

Joe Bryant

K4BRY