[App_rpt-users] wire length...

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Mon Dec 5 02:24:11 UTC 2011

wondering...there's a legitimate length restriction on USB cables...but,
from the dongle to the radio...the audio and control signals...analog...

Reason for asking...have my asterisk computer in the spare basement room
here...right next to the radios.  All the nice dongles blinking in
unison..but...thinking (I know...dangerous) it would be nicer to
actually have the computer in the same room as the rest of the shack,
and the radios out in the other room so the fans on the power supply
don't intrude, etc.  And be able to sit at my work area, rather than
standing in front of the rack...when I'm hacking at the configuration
files, or...???

so...thoughts about how long the cables from the dongle to the radio
itself could be before running into trouble?

Not thinking of using JK (the old Bell 2-pair station wire, believe it
or not, have a couple boxes left from the 80s...:)) or UTP...but, have a
nice spool of belden 8451 (2 stranded conductor, shielded) that's used
almost as a given in most commercial radio stations etc and we never had
a problem with l-r phase shift or degradation (and this was running
audio signals in a transmitter room with 25KW boxes and STLs, and the
like floating around...).  *shouldn't be a problem, right?*

Just thinking out loud...I know, try it and see.

BB