[App_rpt-users] Repeater Controller Information

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Sat Dec 10 00:59:49 UTC 2011

On 12/9/2011 7:30 PM, Jim W7RY wrote:
> Perhaps I misunderstand....
>
> I was under the impression that you could use the computer and
> the URI as a repeater controller as well as an Allstar node.

Yup.  Good start.  Asterisk runs the app_rpt module inside as a means
to control the functionality of the URI, which is connected as a USB
audio device.

Minimally and ideally from the radio to the URI, you need:

1. Discriminator audio from the receiver, from which will be developed:
	- presence of signal (COR)
	- deemphasized audio
	- the CTCSS value that will cause the COR to 'go high' in software that
will:
2. key the radio via the PTT pin
3. provide flat (or mic, depending on whether you're bashing a couple
mobiles together or actually have a repeater set up.

So...you have a number of things to configure:

1. The /etc/asterisk/usbradio.conf file which contains all the
parameters, per node, concerning what type of node, what the ctcss
values are, how the signals are derived or read, etc.

2. The /etc/asterisk/usbradio_tune_usbXXXXX.conf which contains the
tuning parameters for node XXXXX which are developed with the
/usr/sbin/radio-tune-menu progam

3. The /etc/asterisk/rpt.conf file which contains such things as the
timeouts, functions, id strings or pointers to the audio file with the
station id, macros, etc.

The system is extremely flexible and powerful, way beyond what irlp,
echolink (there's a module for echolink, by the by...) or a hardware
controller will give you.

I do suggest getting the O'Reilly book 'Asterisk' which, though it's for
a later version, has a lot of good information in there that is useful
for our systems.

> I see from the Allstar site, that it handles all of the audio
> and CTCSS decode and encode functions. I was looking for the
> information on the timer functions of the repeater controller
> portion.

The timer code is in rpt.conf.  You're looking for values in the node
stanza for your node of:

hangtime=1000
althangtime=1000
totime=170000
idtime=540000
politeid=3000

do a google on rpt.conf, and what these mean will be explained a lot
more succinctly than I can here.  And these are just a few of the values
you can fiddle with.

Hope this helps.