[App_rpt-users] [pcrepeatercontroller] Re: Analog Repeater Weatherinformation

David KE6UPI dshaw at ke6upi.com
Wed Dec 21 15:09:18 UTC 2011

I haven't read all of the post, but what are you looking for? If you want
NOAA Weather then try this. You can make a cron job to run the script.

On 12/10/2010 09:22 AM, David KE6UPI wrote:
I have used this script. Works well.

 asterisk at home festival weather configuration

MP3 Audio directly from NOAA! Updated URLs on 12-15-06

If you are in the San Diego NOAA Office area (and maybe others, check
your regional NOAA Office homepage from http://weather.gov/), you can
get an audio file of the current forecast for your zone and play it
directly.

For the San Diego NOAA Office area, go to
http://newweb.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/ and click on the Audio selection under
Forecasts. Get the URL of the audio file for your zone from the map.

Create an announcement in wav format from:
http://www.research.att.com/~ttsweb/tts/demo.php
I like the UK-Audrey voice, but try some others too.
Make something like:
  latest-forecast.wav "Please wait while I download the latest forecast"
  select-weatherorvmc.wav
"Press 1 for voicemail press 2 for the latest weather forecast"
You will have to convert the wav files from 16000Hz to 8000Hz and maybe
speed them up a bit (135%) and reduce the volume (60%) before you use
them. Put them in /var/lib/asterisk/sounds named latest-forecast.wav and
select-weatherorvmc.wav

Add something like this to your extensions.conf (maybe in the rans
<http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/rans> section) to get the latest
forecast when you dial whatever extension (like 865) that you choose.

My extensions.conf for audio weather:

exten =>  865,1,Answer
exten =>  865,2,Playback(latest-forecast)

> exten => 865,3,System(/usr/bin/curl -shttp://www.wrh.noaa
> .gov/sgx/data/audio/LAXSAFC42.mp3  >  /tmp/LAXSAFC42.mp3)
>
> exten =>  865,4,Wait(1)
> exten =>  865,5,MP3Player(/tmp/LAXSAFC42.mp3)
> exten =>  865,6,System(rm /tmp/LAXSAFC42.mp3 -f)
> exten =>  865,7,Hangup
> |

> If you have trouble, make sure you have curl installed, change the path
> above if necessary. find / -type f -name "curl" will find your curl
> executable. I'm using MP3Player instead of Playback because I don't have
> a sound card in the Asterisk box so mpg123 fails when it tries to use
> /dev/dsp. I suppose there is a way to have a dummy dev, but I don't know
> how. If you do use Playback instead of MP3Player, don't use the .mp3
> file extension in your extensions.conf.
>

> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/asterisk+at+home+festival+weather+configuration
>
> David

Question: Why does people want a weather script this time of the year?