[App_rpt-users] Ok..simple DMK interface....

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Sun Feb 20 00:42:57 UTC 2011

So...I'm going to show stupidity here.  Nothing new...so bear with me,
please.

Anyway...looking to use the DMK dongle to key a radio whose PTT is a
simple key to ground.  Think normal HF or vhf rig like a 7900 or even a
KenYaeCom HT, where the ptt basically closes a circuit.

Hooking up a meter between ground (pin 20) and pin 1 (PTT) on the DMK,
and issuing a command to key the dongle gives me close to a 0 ohm
reading, but not quite; still at about 10 ohms.  (and I know how to hook
up a meter...fwiw, it's a simpson 260, not a digital, so, I can see the
needle swing...).  This obviously is not what I'm looking for.

Yes, I know what the circuit is rated for (not much) and it's an open
collector...

So, the question is...is this pin basically a contact closure (which IS
what I'm looking for), or some other logic level that I'll have to
convert?  If so...any pointers or ?

I freely admit that digital logic (or lack thereof...) especially at
this level (pretty basic, huh?) escapes me...but am willing to learn.

TIA.

Bryan
WB0YLE
Allstar 27294/27295