[App_rpt-users] Quad Radio PCI Card & Icom IC-F221s

John (WB5NFC) wb5nfc at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 27 04:49:44 UTC 2011

Is anyone else using a Quad Radio PCI Card with a pair of Icom IC-F221s
configured as a repeater?

I've worked my way through the need for a COS pull-up resistor, but I can't seem
to get the audio right. After setting proper deviation, I hear what sounds like
a lot of computer-generated hash on the transmitter and a 'ghost' signal from a
local commercial broadcast station in the background.  I suspect that one of my
problems is not using shielded cable from the Quad Card to the ICOMs. I could
not find the appropriate shielded cable locally, so I had hoped to get by by
sacrificing an old twisted-pair jumper. I crimped on a new RJ-45 with the
following pin-outs:

ICOM Receiver Discriminator Audio (330 mVRMS @ 100 k ohms --> Pin 1Quad Radio
RJ-45

ICOM Tramsmitter (Radio Modulation IN) (330mV RMS) --> Pin 7 Quad Radio RJ-45
ICOM PTT -->  Pin 5 Quad Radio RJ-45

ICOM COS  (when radio is properly programmed and a pull-up resistor is used) -->
Pin 2 Quad Radio RJ-45

ICOM Ground --> Pin 8 RJ-45

RX de-emphasis jumper is enabled and the best results seem to be obtained with
TX pre-emphasis enabled (even though it is not recommended).

I will be ordering shielded cable for RJ-45s Monday, but is there anything else
I have missed?

Thanks for any suggestions.

John / WB5NFC