[App_rpt-users] Culling Linux Services (ACID)

Ken ke2n at cs.com
Sun Jul 31 18:04:01 UTC 2011

I don't have any scientific evidence, but would argue that you should select
a board that has plenty of USB ports right on the mother board. No plug-in
USB adapters.

I am running four mini-ITX (Atom D510mo) systems with URIs and small SSHD's.
Board with CPU was $79. It has gigabit Ethernet and 4 USB ports on the front
panel plus headers for 4 more. It has serial and parallel port headers, if
you need these ports. Each system consumes 18 watts at 12 volts.

One box runs asterisk and G4KLX "sound card DSTAR" applications at the same
time - others run two nodes, one with streaming audio to the internet.

No motor boating.

YMMV - this may not be the best choice in a location where the ambient
temperature can go ballistic.

73
Ken