[App_rpt-users] RANGER network

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Fri Nov 11 19:19:28 UTC 2011

Been working (with Jim...and hope he doesn't mind...) on some mods to
the app_rpt module.

The genesis for this was a posting on QRZ concerning the lack of
consistent monitoring (or even accessiblity) of repeaters across the
country, as well as the multiplicity of frequencies in use (note, I'm
only talking about the US here...though, I'm sure that other countries
have the same issues), PL schemes, etc.

So...took this a step further.

What if (how all great ideas start):

1. There was one agreed-upon frequency in the 2m band (which is the most
popular, and accessible to all (well, except for the grandfathered
Novice licenses...) hams.  Some folks have bandied about 146.55.  Idea
is to NOT impinge on .52, satellite, repeaters, weak signals, sideband,
etc.  55 is in the simplex range in the current band plan.

2. There was a way of having a transceiver (this is simplex, remember)
physically connected via app_rpt/URI/etc to a local machine or linked
network (such as the one I participate in here in eastern PA/NJ) that
would be listening on 55...waiting for the LiTZ signal (and that's the
only gating part...no PL, no processing, just waiting for the long
zero...) in which case asterisk would:
	a. *3 to a targeted node/reflector/network
	b. using the nodename announce gsm file, announce its presence
  	c. change add an extra 'feature' to the CT sequence to alert
	   to the fact that the emergency node is connected
	d. be disconnected under the control of a control/sysop on
            the network after the issue had been resolved.

3. Part 97 says one of our three charters is to provide emergency
services in the event we're called upon to do so.  I'm taking a broad
view and saying that a fellow ham, either themselves, or coming upon an
incident, is well within their privileges to offer whatever aid they
can.  The fact is...driving across country for vacation with my ARRL
Repeater Directory at my side...finding a machine that a) had someone
listening and b) was accurately listed (freqs, PLs, offsets,
locations..) was a hit and miss thing.  Mostly probably because of
b)...because when I was able to finally connect up with machines during
the drive, there was always some OM out there willing to chew the rag.

So, it's part of our charter.  Besides...if you look at it...other
licensed services, such as marine, aviation, heck, even Citizens Band,
has defined emergency frequencies...and in the case of CB...an active
cadre of folks who are visible presences on the highways (REACT comes to
mind...say what you will...at least they make the effort....).

Anyway, Jim took the bull by the proverbial horns and coded up the
additions to the app_rpt.c code to do just that.  At it's minimal
implementation, you only need 3 lines in the rpt.conf file to activate
the basic functionality, a URI, and an open USB port.

So...the current SVN has the code in there to do just that. For what
it's worth, I'm using an Alinco DR135, since in data mode, the DB9
connector on the back gives you all the right signals: discriminator
audio, COR, audio in, PTT.  VERY simple to interface.  Just remember to
put it into DATA mode...

So, there are a few things to consider:

1. Registration of the node.  Jim's set aside the 9xxxx sequence of node
numbers for this proposal on AllStarLink.  Oh, by the by, RANGER stands
for Radio Amateur Network (for) General Emergency Response. If you want
to participate, register for a node by putting RANGER in the comments
field for the registration.  You'll need to download the current svn,
build, and install the software and build the configs for the additional
uri to bring it up.

2. He's registered a domain and set up a web site (www.hamranger.org)
with some preliminary information about the whys, wherefores, and such
as an introduction.  There's also more about the rationale.

3. The AllStarLink nodelist lists the active RANGER nodes in RED.
Ranger Red.  Not bad...;)

Think also of other advantages:

1. You see something (or it happens to you...).  The manufacturers see
the advantages of putting an 'emergency button' on the faceplate of
their newest lines of radios which (or, you programmed one of the
hypermemory buttons), when pressed, segue to the defined frequency, you
send out the dtmf zero for 4 seconds to get picked up by the closest
station that is connected to a network covering, say, Philly to NY to
Allentown PA (which is the reach of the PA/NJ Asterisk Net).

2. Someone somewhere answers back.  Help disptched or additional aid
offered.

or

1. You see something (or it happens to you...).  You twist the dial to
find a repeater.  Can't hear anything.  So, you call on 52.  Same thing.
  Pull out the repeater handbook and a) try and figure out what county
you're in, b) what machines MAY be close to you, and c) dial in the
frequency, try to remember which button sequences you need to press to
get to the PL settings since you computer loaded the thing and forgot
how to operate the front panel apart from on, volume, and channel select...

I set up a Facebook group, if anyone on the list is on FB.  Search for
'RANGER Emergency Communicatons Network' to join.

It's a hope that the discussion will center around not so much "whether"
we should do this, but "HOW WE CAN" do this. <soapbox>That we CAN is the
important thing, and might just be one more contribution we can make as
amateurs to using our skills not to just collect wallpaper...but to
provide additional services for our society </soapbox>

Also, FWIW, my RANGER node is up, connected to my controller, and
initial tests indicate that it responds just fine to the long zero
(including transmitting the additional courtesy tones....) and works
just fine.  I'm sure there will be tweaking.  But, that is the nature of
running a repeater.

Feel free to discuss...flames to /dev/null.

--
Bryan
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.

Sent from my MacBook Pro.