[App_rpt-users] File Formats

Bote Man bote_radio at botecomm.com
Tue Nov 15 16:48:13 UTC 2011

My preference is to hear a real Human voice over the sometimes curious pronunciation of the text-to-speech systems out there, unless it is necessitated by a real-time translation from such sources as a weather alert or news ticker.

I would think you could make your system sound distinctive by NOT using it, instead recording your own voice with your own "effects". I have recorded a number of prompts for Lu's systems and he seems happy with them. You can record as many takes as necessary to get it just right, then commit the prompt to the ages for all visitors to enjoy.

I agree that mu law is the best compromise of the choices of codecs offered by Asterisk. Just remember to end the resulting filename with .ul so that Asterisk knows. I wish we didn't have to strip off the extension of speech files when feeding them to Asterisk, it complicates my scripts unnecessarily.

Bote