[App_rpt-users] Serial/Parrallel interface

Bote Man bote_radio at botecomm.com
Thu Oct 6 20:44:42 UTC 2011

Has anybody tried using a DB9 serial-to-USB adapter to get hardware
lines into and out of the machine?

I've been struggling to find a ready-made device complete with driver
for Windows and have come up empty. I'm thinking of just overcoming my
laziness and doing it myself.

Perhaps the same thing could be done in a generic way in linux such that
you hook the COR line from the radio to CTS line of the adapter, and PTT
to the RTS line. When you diddle them on the USB interface, the DB9
asserts the corresponding pin and off you go.

Since these adapters are in current production and demand, supply should
not become a problem for a long time. They are smaller than the DB-25
parallel interface which is deprecated and would likely become harder to
find as well.

Bote

Allstar