[App_rpt-users] Serial/Parrallel interface

K&R Yoksh yokshs at sbcglobal.net
Sun Oct 2 17:48:33 UTC 2011

Hello Carl,

Yes, chan_usbradio and chan_simpleusb both support use of a parallel port. I
don't believe the XIPAR project does.

I have had tremendous success using the parallel port for COS,PTT and
AUX/GPIO on my nodes.

As you mentioned, the CM108 fobs are becoming harder to find, and some of us
have great difficulty soldering to tiny SMT pins. While I have successfully
modified CM108 fobs, I have destroyed two fobs in the process.

The parallel port offers several advantages, including many AUX/GPIO pins,
and the ability to operate several radios from a single parallel port. I
have successfully tested as many as 5 radios on a single parallel port using
COS and PTT, and still had at least 3 pins left for GPIO.

It should also be noted that a standard IRLP board (or generic equivalent)
is supported, and even a simple
"Rigblaster" type interface could be made to work with an adapter.

Check out my web page for some ideas:  http://www.qsl.net/k0kn/plri.html
Keep in mind that app_rpt does not support the hardware DTMF decoder on the
IRLP board, so you can omit that section of the schematic, and build only
the transistor switches.

73 for now,

Kyle
K0KN