[App_rpt-users] Streaming questions

Bote Man bote_radio at botecomm.com
Fri Sep 23 01:52:04 UTC 2011

I'm not sure if GSM 6.1 is GSM full rate, but once the audio has undergone lossy compression, converting it back to PCM format does not magically restore those lost components. What I've heard of most GSM codecs could easily be described as "metallic".

Icecast is derived from Shoutcast, which was developed by the same guys who wrote WinAmp, which is itself a champion of mp3 files. If you've gotta do mp3, then lame is about the best way to do it. What settings is your Icecast stream configured to send?

I get good results on my Icecast scanner streams with a sample rate of 22050 KHz and bit rate of 16kbits/second.

Bote

http://www.botecomm.com/bote/radio – my hobby radio pages

http://www.trackstreamer.com <http://www.trackstreamer.com/>  – my streaming scanner feeds

http://ialerts1.com <http://ialerts1.com/>  – hobbyist fire alerting network w/maps