[App_rpt-users] Streaming questions

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Fri Sep 23 15:01:32 UTC 2011

On 9/22/11 9:52 PM, Bote Man wrote:

> I'm not sure if GSM 6.1 is GSM full rate, but once the audio has
> undergone lossy compression, converting it back to PCM format does not
> magically restore those lost components. What I've heard of most GSM
> codecs could easily be described as "metallic".
>
> Icecast is derived from Shoutcast, which was developed by the same
> guys who wrote WinAmp, which is itself a champion of mp3 files. If
> you've gotta do mp3, then lame is about the best way to do it. What
> settings is your Icecast stream configured to send?
>

> I get good results on my Icecast scanner streams with a sample rate of
> 22050 KHz and bit rate of 16kbits/second.

Well...that was a gory process to get running...(been following along...).

Now...for the big question...figured out my squelch was nice and loose
(iow...when I got the stream working...what I heard was hash noise...to
check, ran radio-tune-menu, tightened up the squelch setting...that
quieted things down...ok...so, what I'm hearing via the outstream
command is what's coming in via the RF side.  How about the output to
the transmitter?

So..what I'm thinking...is stream my hub site which ties all my machines
together...???

(Imagine my surprise when the darn thing finally came up and all I heard
was my background noise (obviously radio-tune-menu set my squelch
setting a bit..ummm...loose....), but, knowing that the net is usually
pretty active...but that blew half the folks on the hallway here at work
(it's my last day here at Telcordia...) out of their chairs...)

  -- Bryan In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.
Well, for years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me.