[App_rpt-users] Streaming questions

Bote Man bote_radio at botecomm.com
Fri Sep 23 19:42:32 UTC 2011

An Icecast server can offer multiple streams off of one ip:port pair via
a mechanism known as a "mount point". That trailing string after the
right-most slash is the name of the mount point. I think it defaults to
the word "mount" but I don't see how that is a stumbling block since
every Icecast stream employs that nomenclature.

It is up to the listener's computer as to how to open the stream based
on the extension .mp3 so that is out of your control.

Although in my case I don't use the extension and it works in most
cases, I think based on the server type header information.

As a test, try clicking each of these to see what it does on your
computer:

http://colostreaming.com:8000/botewild.m3u

http://colostreaming.com:8000/botewild.mp3

http://colostreaming.com:8000/botewild

The audio levels are also critical. Driving the encoder too hard could
result in tinny audio; conversely, driving the encoder with too weak
audio will result in muddy sound. If I listen carefully to my feeds I
can detect the tiniest bit of stair-stepping during audio peaks, but
overall I quite like the audio on there as I strive to set a good
example with it. FYI, my feeds use a Windows application called
RadioFeed which incorporates the lame encoder. It's a great free program
that's perfect for putting a scanner stream online.

As for Chipmunks, it sounds like you might be changing the sample rate
without actually resampling the audio. Does your Icecast server play a
recorded introductory announcement at the start of each stream session?

Bote