[App_rpt-users] Thin client hardware

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Fri Sep 30 12:57:30 UTC 2011

Has anyone looked at/experimented with/thought about using thin client
hardware such as the line of HP boxen as a basis for a simple (ie 1 or 2
radio) node?  I'm thinking that, with a CF image plugged in, you can use
800meg-1ghz processors, a couple of USB ports, 10/100 network connection
machines that are in the 50-60 dollar range for used equipment, that
also run on 12v (the HP that I had from a couple of companies ago had a
12v brick to power it...the gypsy life of an IT security guy, right?)

Just wondering.  Thinking of gin'ning up a mobile repeater for whatever
reason (because I can?), and, to me, 50 or 60 bucks for a processor fits
right in with my "hams are notoriously cheap" theory.

Discuss?/criticize?/shoot down?/???

--
73
Bryan WB0YLE