[App_rpt-users] Thin client hardware

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) Ramesh at va3uv.com
Fri Sep 30 13:05:54 UTC 2011

On 30/09/2011 8:57 AM, Bryan D. Boyle wrote:
> Has anyone looked at/experimented with/thought about using thin client
> hardware such as the line of HP boxen as a basis for a simple (ie 1 or 2
> radio) node? I'm thinking that, with a CF image plugged in, you can use
> 800meg-1ghz processors, a couple of USB ports, 10/100 network connection
> machines that are in the 50-60 dollar range for used equipment, that
> also run on 12v (the HP that I had from a couple of companies ago had a
> 12v brick to power it...the gypsy life of an IT security guy, right?)
>
> Just wondering. Thinking of gin'ning up a mobile repeater for whatever
> reason (because I can?), and, to me, 50 or 60 bucks for a processor fits
> right in with my "hams are notoriously cheap" theory.
>
> Discuss?/criticize?/shoot down?/???

<-- Hi Brian... call me on node 27919 and you can hear one in action!

I am using a HP T5710 - it can NOT run full-duplex with DSP, etc... it
works fine with chan_simpleusb.

This is also the platform that my FREE STAR* appliance is being
developed on!

Give me a shout and we can chat about the FREE STAR* project as well.

Cheers!

Ramesh.