[App_rpt-users] d-star?

Alan Adamson adamson_alan at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 13:30:29 UTC 2012

Here's what's funny about the price options on NXDN. I can't talk for
kenwood, I don't have any of theirs.

Icom repeaters are approx $700 - all you need is a UR-FR6000 (or 5000 if you
want vhf), I've picked those up for that price and less a few times.  That's
everything with controller, add duplexer, power supply and antenna and you
are on the air.  Those are 25w 100% duty cycle repeaters.  While the HT's
are a bit expensive, the mobiles are cheaper than d-star mobiles.

NXDN is quite good at extending the footprint of an analog system.  I can't
speak for the other commercial gear, but for NXDN, that's 1/2 the price of a
d-star repeater, way better equipment, and you can do both 25khz FM and 6.25
digital on them so transition for a user base is extremely easy.

Ok, I suppose we better turn this back to app_rpt talk and not create
another repeater builder.  If anyone want NXDN info, contact me off list.

Oh, and for the question, yes, you can do native IP based NXDN linking. my
repeaters in Atlanta, are linked to Ohio and to FLA.  And while not too
flexible at the moment, we are working on that.

Lastly, aside from the DVSI chip, which everyone else uses as well, the nxdn
specs were just released a month ago, which opens all kinds of
possibilities.

Doing nxdn to dstar.. why bother, scrap the dstar gear and just get nxdn
gear, that's what quite a number of places are doing!....

Alan