[App_rpt-users] Noisy Quad PCI audio

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Tue Jan 24 20:20:36 UTC 2012

On 1/24/12 2:46 PM, Jim Duuuude wrote:

> I guess you could always apply a 1:1 600 Ohm isolation transformer. You can even
> get one of those at Radio Shack (still).

Keeping unbalanced audio or other signal paths clean is such a pain...

Isolation xfmrs are a good thing.  If cellphone shack doesn't have
them...IIRC Mouser, Digikey, even Broadcast Supply Warehouse, and some
ham bits-and-pieces places (there are still a few left...) will.  They
should NOT be expensive, nor massive (like the old Weco 666 repeater
coils...).  I bought a box of them a couple years ago when I was
building my streaming radio station, and, even between balanced audio
sources and my console, I dropped them in on the back of my patch
panel...just in case (and the audio chain meets the old FM proof of
performance specs, so...).

Basically you are more prone to have noise issues if you have multiple
pieces of equipment where the grounds are at different voltage
potentials between different pieces of equipment (like being plugged
into different wall outlets or power strips).  Don't discount the noise
that switching supplies or wall warts can spew onto lines, nor noisy
muffin fans on amplifiers (have this problem on a Henry amp right now),
florescent lights, HT chargers...the list is long where it could be
coming from, not to mention a/d device issues.

--
Bryan
In this world, you must be oh so smart or oh so pleasant.

Sent from my MacBook Pro.