[App_rpt-users] Use eBox computer for server node

George Csahanin george at dyb.com
Sun Jul 8 03:18:09 UTC 2012

Limey would be perfect, but not one of the stock distros of it, which only
have software/modules/drivers for a very specific set of motherboards. I
have played extensively with it, and while I wanted to put together a
FAQ/HOWTO, I didn't have time, and now have forgotten too much.

But it would be very possible, but you'd need to know specifics about the
motherboard/processor/peripherals. Booting linux from a SD card might help
you identify those things. But I would not advise substituting a SD card for
a drive, the card will eventually develop problems. I've tried this with
another linux application that does repeater direct linking via network.
(called DRIL used by the Armadillo Intertie in Texas)

You can include specific motherboard/processor/drivers in a custom limey
build. I have two "private" asterisk radio nodes running this (one is W2DB-L
in NJ) Once the PC boots the limey images the whole thing runs from ramdisk
and the "drive" is unmounted.. Pretty cool. I had to add drivers and tools
to allow for RTL8187 wireless usb adapter. Took a while to figure all of it
out, but it works like a champ.

So, if you want a neat learning experience try limey.

GeorgeC
W2DB/5
2360