[App_rpt-users] Aint gonna happen

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Sun Mar 11 17:36:45 UTC 2012

Wherein lies the problem (after spending 26+hrs in a data center upgrading our network and virtualized server environment...); it has to do with the demands of hardware interface and servicing the stream based on a serialized and interrupt-driven environment.  Audio service, at the analog to digital transition point, is intolerant of the CPU being off 'elsewhere' or managed as part of a pooled resource (simplistically) in a highly loaded environment.  Hubs, etc work fine; but, when you get down to the nuts and bolts of actually doing hardware control, audio processing, etc, you really want a direct processor/memory/I-O capability.

Besides..computers that you can dedicate to the task are not the most expensive investment in a radio/repeater/etc setup.  Because you can do it does not necessarily mean you should do it..:)

--
Bryan
Sent from my iPad

On Mar 11, 2012, at 12:57 PM, "Jeremy R. Geeo [KDØEAV]" <kd0eav at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ditto...
>
> I've run many Asterisk/Allstar/IP telephony solutions as VM slices using Xen. I "roll my own" under Gentoo. Wouldn't do it any other way. But again, I'm not using any audio hardware - these are hubs, conference bridges, pbxs, etc.
>

> 73
>
> - Jeremy, KD0EAV
>
> On 03/11/12 11:27, Steve Zingman wrote:
>>
>> I have to disagree.
>>
>> I have heard Jim and Steve say that you can't run app_rpt
>> in a VM. I have been running a hub in a VMware ESX VM for the last 2 years. No, I don't use any audio hardware but it's been working as a hub just fine.
>>
>> I do not use Acid or any other canned distro. I "roll my own" under Debian. Right now under Etch and moving to Squeeze when I get a chance.
>>
>> Remember, your mileage may vary, but it works for me.
>>
>> 73, Steve N4IRS
>>
>>> Message: 3
>>> Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 10:31:25 -0800
>>> From: Jim Duuuude<telesistant at hotmail.com>
>>> <app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] ACID on VMware
>>>

>>> Well, as with you, I have some things I might want to have/find that are in
>>> a similar category:
>>>
>>> 1. World Peace
>>> 2. Elvis
>>> 3. The Easter Bunny