[App_rpt-users] iaxRpt weirdness

Michael Carey michaelcarey at internode.on.net
Thu Mar 22 17:34:16 UTC 2012

Hi Everybody,

I'm hoping someone here has experienced this "problem" and can point me
in the right direction, it's not a critical problem, more of an annoying
one.  I'm leaning towards a network issue on my PC.

I have been using iaxRpt mainly for fun and as a diagnostic tool with my
AllStar nodes... and mainly to listen to activity on the node.

After configuring a new Mikrotik router on my ham radio ADSL connection,
I was using iaxRpt on my home office PC (Win7 64bit) which is "outside"
of my ham radio network to make sure I had forwarded the correct UDP
ports through to my nodes... and this is where I found a strange thing.

I can connect to node 27871 and hear activity on the node OK... both
local RF and incoming via the internet when connected to another node.
But when I key up the node with the TRANSMIT button, the node
transmitter seems to pulse on and off.  Every few seconds I hear the
unkey telemetry tone beep.  The radio never fully unkeys, I hear
interrupted audio and the beep.

I then connected directly to the nodes internal IP address (not out
through my main ADSL connection and back in the ham radio ADSL
connection) and it does the same thing... when you key up the node
"pulses"... so it's not an internet thing.

My older laptop PC (WinXP) does not exhibit this problem... it works
fine both coming in via the internet and a LAN connection directly to
the node IP address.  My PC at work (connecting via the internet) works
fine too.

I'm thinking that something is screwing up the UDP packet stream from
this PC... but I have no idea what it could be.

Any suggestions?

Michael.
VK5ZEA