[App_rpt-users] keeping connections permanent

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Sat Aug 24 23:13:20 UTC 2013

On 8/24/2013 6:43 PM, KJ6KO wrote:
> Thanks...Exactly what I am planning!  Have the HUB and am adding more
> nodes slowly!
> Would it be best to set the HUB up for the perm links or the outlying
> nodes? I assume the hub, but we all know what happens when you
> "assume".  hi hi

My own opinion is worth what it'll cost you (0), since there are
probably as many thoughts regarding this as subs to the list and variety
of networks built with the software, from the simplest 4 or radio
interconnection schemes to the borg-like WAN system (said with
affection, ok?)...however, that being said, from a risk analysis and
continuity of operations standpoint...I'd initiate the permalink from
the hub out.  One less thing for the spokes to worry about, and since
the hub is the hub (how's that for a redundant statement) or core of the
net...makes sense to have it do what it's doing (interconnecting N+1
repeaters) and let the leaves do what they do: managing the radio
interfaces and forwarding the audio back to the mother ship.

I'm sure others will agree, disagree, or want to discuss for discussion
and clarification of thought purposes...and at least with the
flexibility of the system, there is no 100% right or 100% wrong answer.  :)