[App_rpt-users] PCI cards

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed Dec 4 06:20:42 UTC 2013

Hi Ben,

I guess you're an experienced Linux systems-software developer?

The software needed to accomplish what you're inquiring about is certainly
possible to develop, but, will definitely be non-trivial for a
Asterisk/app_rpt beginner.

While USB does have some warts (like latency and hub concerns), in
practice it works really well for this application and the existing code
is mature. If you're concerned about an "all internal" solution, most
current motherboards have internal USB expansion headers directly on them
and +5V is available there.  You can, of course, get power (+5, +12, etc.)
directly from an internal power supply, too.

So, USB is where I'd *really* recommend starting. If you don't want to get
a DMK URI, get a CM108 (or CM119) USB soundcard for $15 and hack on
that--they work well, too. Here is an example adapter:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829128004

Note that the Startech adapter requires some hardware mods on a
microscopic pitch surface mount chip! A description can be found here:
http://ohnosec.org/drupal/node/27

Once you've got a fully operational solution, then get the source code and
start hacking on that--with a working system, so you call tell what impact
your code changes are having. The ACID source code is here:
http://stats.allstarlink.org/dl/installcd/files.tar.gz   ....Once you've
successfully installed ACID, you've got a copy of this code on your
system (I forget exactly where, I haven't installed ACID from scratch in
an eon).

Good luck and happy hacking!

73, David KB4FXC