[App_rpt-users] Asterisk Manager hack attempts

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 8 21:28:06 UTC 2013

This morning, I saw a bunch of these on my asterisk log:

[Dec  8 02:03:52] NOTICE[13322]: manager.c:1034 authenticate: 77.79.83.154 failed to authenticate as 'admin'

It would appear that someone is scanning for open Asterisk Manager ports.

As distributed, our "stuff" (ACID, Limey Linux, Pickle, etc) has the configuration file
for the Asterisk manager configured in a way that does not allow external access
(local interface only). However, those of you who are running things (such as Allmon)
that use the Asterisk Manager should be EXTRA careful that you CHANGE THE PASSWORD
from the normal default one provided in the configuration file(s), and that there is
one and only one user defined in the file (unless, of course, you have a good reason
for having more then one, and you "know what you are doing").

Jim WB6NIL