[App_rpt-users] Mobile node

Lu Vencl vencl at att.net
Tue Dec 10 21:32:43 UTC 2013

There are so many options out there for data modems. You could have a full-fledged router with a USB port or you can plug in a data modem or PCMCIA slot you name it. But funny you bring this up I had a one of those bells that one off in my head one morning while I was taking a shower and I thought what the heck why not just attach one of my old smart phones to one of those $30 Chinese uv5RA and use Zoiper as the client. You can use the old smart phone in Wi-Fi mode if you have Wi-Fi access somewhere or just activates service on it for the purpose of your needs of creating a portable node. You set the UV5RA in VOX mode so when there's traffic coming in it will key the portable. And when traffic comes in on the portable it will trigger the vox mode on your node. Be sure to set up the option to be Fox on your IAX client. If you need help setting it up let me know and I can give you an example.
I'm going to make the cable this weekend to interface the iPhone to a portable and everything should work.
Just note that this would not give you a dedicated node but it would be tied to an existing node.
I suppose you could create a logical node in an existing node and have a separate node number and do it that way as well.

Sent from my iPhone, Lu Vencl