[App_rpt-users] Speaking of CW IDs

Bryan D. Boyle bdboyle at bdboyle.com
Sun Dec 15 22:36:49 UTC 2013

On 12/15/2013 5:04 PM, Chuck Henderson wrote:
> It is limited by this line in the app_rpt.c file and by FCC rules

Thanks, Chuck...was wondering when someone would bring up the FCC regs
for the US (acknowledging that other jurisdictions may be different)

In the US, under FCC jurisdiction, in the section dealing with station
ID, part 97.119 (from the FCC website):
---
(a) Each amateur station, except a space station or telecommand station,
must transmit its assigned call sign on its transmitting channel at the
end of each communication, and at least every 10 minutes during a
communication, for the purpose of clearly making the source of the
transmissions from the station known to those receiving the
transmissions. No station may transmit unidentified communications or
signals, or transmit as the station call sign, any call sign not
authorized to the station.

(b) The call sign must be transmitted with an emission authorized for
the transmitting channel in one of the following ways:

(1) By a CW emission. When keyed by an automatic device used only for
identification, the speed must not exceed 20 words per minute;
---

I suppose you could change it for a hub node...but, mistakes happen in
configuration (else why would this list exist to plow the same furrow
over and over...???) and SOMEHOW an RF emitter connected to that hub
would (will?) end up sending CW IDs at 50 WPM.  Why tempt fate?

I'm sure one could parse it to mean that asterisk is not only used for
identification to attempt to get around the 20 WPM speed limit.  But, to
be honest, I'm not interested in being the test case on a NAL cite based
on parsing the rules that finely. Got better things to do with the money.

20 is plenty fast enough to keep the majority of folks out of the weeds,
I think.

BB
WB0YLE