[App_rpt-users] Speaking of CW IDs

Steve Agee n5zua at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 16 07:04:27 UTC 2013

20 WPM for Part 97 is correct. However, there is no mention of what
level is required. Whereas, Part 90, for example, used to (and probably
still does) require the level be at a minimum of 80% of full system
deviation. 80% of 5 KHz (the old standard) is 4 KHz, which makes for a
pretty darn loud identifier. With the newer 2.5 KHz standard, that works
out to 2 KHz. Generally, amateur (in particular repeaters) tend to use
way less than 80%, probably more like around 50%.

N5ZUA