[App_rpt-users] USB EMI?

David McGough kb4fxc at inttek.net
Wed Dec 25 16:19:55 UTC 2013

Hi Doug,

I've experienced that same situation when running high power on HF. I
solved it with careful application of ferrites and other RF suppression
means....Note that most "snap-on" RFI suppressors don't do much on HF,
especially the low HF bands--you'll probably need many turns of the USB
cable thru the core(s) to do anything at all. This is a situation where
some RF analysis tools come in handy. I've got an AIM-4170C, which is an
incredible help to tell if/when some suppression method is heading in the
right direction!

Anyhow, good luck, I've been there, too! This just shows how much
unexpected RF can be floating around when using various radios and amps!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

73, David KB4FXC