[App_rpt-users] Question regarding interfacing to a Kenwood Nextedge Repeater NXR-710/810

Don Russell drussell at gpgsecure.com
Mon Dec 30 18:47:53 UTC 2013

Actually there is a version of app_rpt that can do DCS, you need to talk to Steve W9SH from xelatec. The XIPAR version has DCS
Encode/Decode built in. Any particular reason you want to use DCS not PL? I still think you should let app_rpt handle the emphasis
curve. I think the linking audio is way better that way. Feed the audio in on pin 8 (Data) which is direct to modulator and let
asterisk pre-emphasize limit the audio, you should be fine.

If you want to let the repeater internal controller handle the repeat audio, set duplex=3 in rpt.conf [node] stanza.
That way you the link/autopatch audio is full duplex, and you still get the courtesy tone/telemetry/link audio from the controller
The internal controller will handle the repeat audio in between. In that config the repeater will handle the DCS encode/decode.
You will need to program one of the output pins on the 25 pin to change state on proper PL/DCS, and wire that to the URI PL/COR
detect pin. then set in usbradio ctcssfrom=usb not DSP.

You can use the deemphasized audio in/out if you want to, you need to change the settings in the usbradio.conf to reflect that. I
strongly suggest you let app_rpt do the audio processing as it does a better job than the repeaters built in emphasis/limiting
circuitry. The direct flat audio path is also the one you would use for digital audio like one of the German DVRPTR boards.

I guess my first email was sent direct not via the list. I suggested that he make a couple changes in the usbradio.conf, use the
direct flat in/out pins, and let app_rpt do the encode/decode of PL using DSP and bypass the internal controller entirely on 1
channel. Program in a second channel that is internal controller repeat, and use a GPIO from the URI to change between channels,
or manually do so via an external DTMF decoder on a control receiver or attached to the repeater. use something like DTMF A to toggle
channels. So if the linux box pukes, a DTMF "A" will get you back up to at least local repeat. That is exactly what I did on a
VXR-9000 I setup for my old ham club.

Don W9DRR

Enjoy being warm guys, it was -11F this morning here in the chilly state of Iowa.