[App_rpt-users] [Bulk] Re: Simple node

Ramesh Dhami (VA3UV) Ramesh at va3uv.com
Wed Feb 13 17:20:31 UTC 2013

On 13/02/2013 10:19 AM, Tony KT9AC wrote:
> Myself and another ham just picked up two of the 5710 thin clients for
> less than $50 each shipped. So what is the recommended way to build a
> node - ACID with a larger drive or Limey with existing hardware inside
> (512M ram/ 512M flash)?

<-- I have had several folks contact me about the HP Thin Clients.....
so I will post the mod info here on the group.

I initially started with this mod' for my FREE STAR* systems (had to get
that in there Jim!):

http://gnbi.com/T5710/

As you can see, we replace the on-board memory module with a 4GB
microdrive.  I have also built several HP's for Allstar use and even had
one running Asterisk as my home PBX for a while.

For my FREE STAR* application, I disable logging as much as I can - here
is my FREE STAR* status page - and the reason I show it here is that it
displays the uptime stats at the bottom of the dashboard (this is
running on a HP T5710 of course):

http://va3pmo-dstar.homelinux.net:5088/

Some folks have suggested using a SSD drive, etc., in lieu of the
microdrive and yes, with the appropriate adapter, that can be done - but
you will then need to bring out the cabling outside of the HP and mount
the drive outside, etc..

Lots of possibilities!

Now, a little while ago, I helped a fellow setup a HP Thin Client - he
was fortunate that his on-board memory was a 4GB module! - in that case,
there is no need to modify it at all.

I have been installing right off the ACID CD using an external USB > ATA
adapter with a CD drive attached to it.  I have never used Limey - but,
from previous discussion, I recall that Limey is suited to a select few
motherboards.

The HP's come in several models, I have always tried to buy the 1.2GHz
derivative.  I have also successfully used the 800MHz model for my FREE
STAR* application.  For Allstar, I stick with the 1.2GHz model -
although, I am sure that the 800MHz model will work just as well.

chan_simpleusb works fine with the HP's - making it an ideal solution
for a simplex node or repeater site with an existing controller.

Oh - one other thing - replace the BIOS back-up battery when you get
them; I also set them to 'boot upon power' - especially for remote
installations.

A couple of people also asked me off-list about the USB fobs, so a quick
mention....

I have had tremendous success with the StarTech fobs from TigerDirect:

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4104870&CatId=4261

I have modified about 20 of these! - I can provide a schematic on
request.... I dubbed the finish product the "UVRI" ;o).  I bring out
both audio channels, making it versatile for a repeater application
allowing for the PL tone to be injected into the modulator rather than
mixed with the microphone audio.

That's all I have time for right now!

Cheers,

Ramesh.