[App_rpt-users] Documenting my GM300 to Beagle/LOX setup

Alan Adamson adamson_alan at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 24 02:46:57 UTC 2013

Just in case someone else decides to try this.

reference this.
http://www.repeater-builder.com/motorola/maxtrac/gm300-info.html

a) on the GM300, leave JU551 set to the default (de-emphasized  not FLAT)
position B
b) also make sure that JU701 is set to the default position A or else you
won't encode PL on TX

Beyond that, I used beagle tune to set the levels, and the portal to give me
a basic node setup.

I did play a little with the wait-times in rpt.conf. settled with these for
a simplex node.

[wait-times]

telemwait=1200
idwait=500
unkeywait=300
calltermwait=1500

I did use cables from Marshall and he includes an rj45 with the wire to
jumper so that with no mic connected it's onhook so that PL functions
correctly.

I was lucky enough to have 2 real live GM300 D04 radios (1-10watt versions
with 439-450 coverage), I plugged in 446.000 with a pl on tx/rx and didn't
have to touch much else. RX sensitivity was -122db on radio and -120 on the
other. good enough for what I'm looking for - personal simplex nodes.

if you get cables from Marshall make sure you follow his instructions and
pin 8 on the back of the radio needs to be set to show both CARRIER *AND*
PL.

The Beagle.conf looks like the following

[YOURNODENUMBER]
carrierfrom=hwinvert
ctcssfrom=no
invertptt=0
duplex=0
rxondelay=0

That's it. if doing a simplex node, and using the portal to generate your
starting setup, make sure you select all the right things for the node radio
interface - beagle, then the other items below it, specifically the duplex=

Hope this helps for the next person. Note, I tried JU551 on the beagle and
in FLAT mode it just sounded tinny - probably would work great in a sideband
contest, but with it in the default position, the audio across the network
sounded much more *natural*, the way it should. NOTE, this may be an
artifact of the Beagle, none of the normal usb setup values are support in
chan_beagle.c, etc.

And lastly thanks to everyone who offered their nodes to me. it was a huge
help.  With my main allstar server on the same network as my 2 new nodes,
while I could get the big allstar server to see both separately but using
separate ports, I couldn't connect one to the other. So having a node out in
the networks. Solved the problem.

Alan