[App_rpt-users] [Bulk] Re: [Bulk] Getting to know App-Rpt all over again.

Benjamin L. Naber Benjamin at kb9lfz.com
Wed Feb 27 00:47:23 UTC 2013

The Wi-Fi maybe what is making your audio flaky.

Many of us use the cheap sound fobs with the CM108 and have zero
problems.

Remember that with Wi-Fi, you are competing for bandwidth and Wi-Fi, in
it's present state, is simplex, or in the network world CSMA/CDA. If it
was full duplex, then it would probably be better. You will have to
ensure your Wi-Fi access point has Wireless QoS to ensure the packets
from the Wi-Fi allstar node have priority.

To add to the complication, you are also competing for bandwidth on your
router, if you do not already have QoS setup. For those of us that have
more than one device on the network that accesses the internet, the
router by default is going to send FIFO, or First-in First-out... if the
TX and RX buffer(s) aren't full. And when they are, the router, or cable
modem will begin to drop packets from either direction.

For QoS, there is some a small number of types. Theres HTB and HFSC and
some others. HTB is has been ruled to be better and more robust. There
are also different variations with HTB such as "weighted" and "forceful"
for a lack of more intelligent words. M0N0wall uses the weighted version
of HTB with totally sucks, in my opinion, as some of the packets
mangled/manipulated to have more importance, are still sent out late or
not at all. "Forceful" HTB doesn't care, it will do it hardest to send
out the packets according to a present level of priority. And it's very
effective, too. Look around on the good 'ol interwebs for HTB QoS, and
you will learn a lot more than you want to.

Bottom line: if you have access to an extra port on your router or
switch, plug in the allstar node, avoid Wi-Fi. Take the time to run the
ethernet cable. Wi-Fi is not all it's cracked up to be.

~Benjamin, KB9LFZ