[App_rpt-users] Upgrading node PC

Jon Rorke jrorke at cogeco.ca
Mon Jan 14 12:56:08 UTC 2013

Hi Michael, short answer is no. I regularly back up my nodes by copying
the entire Asterisk directory and save it on my local pc. If I need to
make a new box I just throw Acid in and let it build the default node
1999. After I set up time and ssh and so on I just copy over the
asterisk directory. Restart Asterisk and BAM  youre done. Now the rule
about waiting 5 - 10 mins for your node to propagate through the network
still stands though.

Jon VA3RQ
On 1/14/2013 1:33 AM, Michael Carey wrote:
> Thanks to all the replies to my post.
>
> I've placed the original PC back into service (I check into the
> WinSystem Insomniac Net most nights) as I needed to be on the air!
> When I did this, I was not able to link to nodes immediately, I got a
> "connection failed" message for around 10 minutes before I could link
> again, I have experienced this before when the server has been turned
> off for extended periods (on vacation).
>
> I did not have both servers (new and old) running at the same time...
> and I forwarded UDP 4569 to the new internal IP address.
>
> While looking at "asterisk -r" with the new server, after the digits
> were decoded to link to node 3560 (*32560), I did not get a connection
> failed message back... just the normal telemetry beep (sounds like DTMF).
>
> I'm going to fire up the new server again tonight and leave it going
> for a while and see what happens.
>
> My original question still stands.... do I need to transfer anything
> else over to the new server apart from the .conf files found in
> /etc/asterisk/  ??  Will this be enough to transfer the "identity" of
> the server to a new machine?
>
> Michael.
> VK5ZEA
>
> On 14/01/2013 06:12, Jon Rorke wrote:
>> Remember if you node is off line for a period of time, it will take
>> 10 -15 min before the extenodes list file gets pushed out from the
>> Allstar server to all the nodes. Even if you node shows up in the
>> stats pages.
>> If your node is not in the other nodes list then you cannot connect.
>> That is because those nodes don't know what your IP address is.
>>
>> So just wait 5 -10 min then try again.
>>
>> Jon VA3RQ
>>

>> On 1/13/2013 2:13 PM, Ryan Collier wrote:
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> That very thing happened to me yesterday. If you look at asterisk -r,
>>> is it trying to connect? For some reason yesterday when I rebooted my
>>> machine it took 5 trying to get the node to register with the network
>>> then it took off.
>>>
>>> I was able to make connections again.
>>>
>>> 73
>>> Ryan