[App_rpt-users] Finally....

Bob Tenty bobtenty at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 06:07:54 UTC 2013

Regarding OSS in linux

In the kernels of Ubuntu 12 .04 and later OSS support (OSS to ALSA emulation
is switched off (depreciated) and is or will happen with more distro's
What you can do is to install OSS4 (oss4-base & oss4-dkms ), with
oss4-dkms new
oss modules will be compiled and installed from source in the background
every-time
a new kernel will be installed. OSS4 uses new name modules and devices but
will also create soft-links with the old legacy devices /dev/dsp &
/dev/mixer to the
new oss4 devices.
I installed the libasound2 library and pulseaudio and did set the config
file of
libasound2 to use pulseaudio and  pulseaudio to output OSS
Now we can use programs that interface with  both ALSA and OSS.

It is also possible to not install pulse audio and only OSS4 and libasound2
and also to use  OSS and ALSA talking programs (this need a different
libasound2 config.)
Something along the same line is valid for other distro's.

73,

Bob / Boudewijn VE3TOK