[App_rpt-users] Finally....

Jim Duuuude telesistant at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 17 06:42:12 UTC 2013

The kernel in Centos 6.X *does* have it installed and
supposedly "working", but sadly it does not.

Jim

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2013 02:07:54 -0400
From: bobtenty at gmail.com
To: app_rpt-users at ohnosec.org
Subject: Re: [App_rpt-users] Finally....

    Regarding OSS in linux

      In the kernels of Ubuntu 12 .04 and later OSS support (OSS to ALSA
      emulation

      is switched off (depreciated) and is or will happen with more
      distro's

      What you can do is to install OSS4 (oss4-base & oss4-dkms ),
      with oss4-dkms new

      oss modules will be compiled and installed from source in the
      background every-time

      a new kernel will be installed. OSS4 uses new name modules and
      devices but

      will also create soft-links with the old legacy devices /dev/dsp
      & /dev/mixer to the

      new oss4 devices.

      I installed the libasound2 library and pulseaudio and did set the
      config file of

      libasound2 to use pulseaudio and  pulseaudio to output OSS

      Now we can use programs that interface with  both ALSA and OSS.

      It is also possible to not install pulse audio and only OSS4 and
      libasound2

      and also to use  OSS and ALSA talking programs (this need a
      different

      libasound2 config.)

      Something along the same line is valid for other distro's.

      73,

      Bob / Boudewijn VE3TOK