[App_rpt-users] Portable Nodes

James Hill jrh at g0fhm.co.uk
Wed Jul 24 10:37:26 UTC 2013

On 24/07/2013 11:04, David Osborn wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was just wondering what people have deployed as a "node in a box"
> solution.
>
> I'm toying with building a portable node that can use either WiFi or
> 3G and which can be set-up in an arbitrary location as required. The
> general idea being aimed at emergency communications.
>
> So, what radios, what computer power (RTCM, perhaps?), what power
> arrangements?
>
> 73
>
> David Osborn
>
> GD4HOZ

David,

I would consider a thin client with 2.5" HDD running ACiD. They require
12V and are easily powered by a SLAB or similar battery. The RTL8188CU
WLAN USB dongle also works with CentOS. My Wyse V90 has a 1GHz CPU and
only had 256MB RAM (i've since upgraded it), and initially ran ACiD with
usbradio with no problems. For /P uses, I have a Motorola HT-600E of
which I have "hacked" the public safety speaker/mic connector to connect
to the TC. The cable has mini coax, so I've connected a BNC socket to
the end to connect to a better antenna.

Pretty "Quick N Durty", but it works. For the HT-600E, I've knocked up a
simple circuit involving a LM7810 regulator and a dead battery pack
(I've removed the cells and placed the circuit inside, so again it can
run from either 12V or a 13.8V PSU.

I haven't done anything with the 3G dongle yet - I have one here, but
havent experimented!

73