[App_rpt-users] echolink connection issue

George Csahanin george at dyb.com
Wed Mar 13 04:33:02 UTC 2013

Something very odd took place. History:I had a TBD node running with an
echolink id of W2DB-L. On October 2 I actually asked echolink folks about it
and they said tbd was not permitted. I took it down. Now that  callsign is
blocked, and apparently (to them) an allstar/asterisk node looks like tbd.
My node 2360 is also echolink W2DB-R and they just sent me an email of
accusing me of running a tbd box at W2DB-R. It isn't, it's an ACID install
of asterisk/app_rpt. Now W2DB-R doesn't seem to want to connect to anything
except the echotest also. So not sure what this is all about, but if anybody
else has any echolink issue you might want to see if you've been
blocked/de-authorized because they think it is a tbd box. Too bad. Echolink
is a nice service that allows hams around the world to keep up pc to pc. And
nobody asks for any money, nice. But this is very, very out of the norm for
them.

(It would also have been nice if somewhere on their web site they spelled
out that tbd and/or asterisk isn't permitted...)

George
W2DB