[App_rpt-users] e2fsck

Geoff ars.w5omr at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 15:37:48 UTC 2013

On 11/18/2013 07:44 AM, Benjamin L. Naber wrote:
> this is coming up when trying to boot a new install of Limey Linux
>
> last time I checked, e2fsck is for EXT2 and other Linux extensions, not
> FAT.
>
> Booting comes to a dead halt when the e2fsck checktime has been
> reached.
>
> Any way around this, or disable this checking when booting?

I'm no expert on Limey Linux, but last I checked, when Linux formats and
prepares a drive, it is most certainly -not- in a FAT format.

e2fsck is probably checking your drive on -every- bootup because there's
an issue with the drive.

 From 'man e2fsck' :

DESCRIPTION
e2fsck is used to check a Linux second extended file system (ext2fs).
E2fsck also supports ext2 filesystems containing a journal, which are
also sometimes known as ext3
filesystems, by first applying the journal to the filesystem before
continuing with normal e2fsck processing. After the journal has been
applied, a filesystem will normally
be marked as clean. Hence, for ext3 filesystems, e2fsck will normally
run the journal and exit, unless its superblock indicates that further
checking is required.

device is the device file where the filesystem is stored (e.g. /dev/hdc1).

Note that in general it is not safe to run e2fsck on mounted
filesystems. The only exception is if the -n option is specified, and
-c, -l, or -L options are not specified.
However, even if it is safe to do so, the results printed by e2fsck are
not valid if the filesystem is mounted. If e2fsck asks whether or not
you should check a filesystem
which is mounted, the only correct answer is ‘‘no’’. Only experts who
really know what they are doing should consider answering this question
in any other way.

73 = Best Regards,
-Geoff/W5OMR