[App_rpt-users] Cepstral questions

Doug Crompton doug at crompton.com
Sun Nov 24 18:06:38 UTC 2013

Yes, I certainly agree time is money but there is also no guarantee that Cepstral will be there and it also appears they have changed their policy and pricing schemes.

Cepstral works fine but the question is what is their current purchase policy. I bought a voice (Diane) many years ago and as far as I know it is a lifetime key. I was able to use it with the version 5 code. I was not able to use it with the 'diane_8khz' voice however. So I just use sox to change the 16K files to 8K on the fly.

The current Cepstral site appears to charge for the voice plus additional charges for the ability to use it in a phone system with an additional charge for write to file. This is in the telephony section of the site. If you download the (free?) personal voices I am not sure what the capability is. I know they are 16K and would not directly work with Asterisk Allstar. It is not clear what the personal site policy is and we in fact may be breaking the EULA in using it they way we do.

Mine is working and I bought my voice in 2006 for about $20 but if you add up the charges now for telephony voices as per their web page it could be well over $300! In the interest of helping others get this working who are new to this can someone describe just what one needs to buy from Cepstral and the page to buy it from? This would be for recent setups not something you did a year or two ago as the Cepstral policy has changed.
73 Doug
WA3DSP
http://www.crompton.com/hamradio